LogoTransparent251x160
St. Patrick of Heatherdowns
ruler
A Vibrant Catholic Community

School Office: 419-381-1775

Principal: Mrs. Tina Abel
Extension: 133 
Assist. Principal: Mrs. Jane Nevers
Extension: 131
Admissions and Development: Mrs. Cindy Lloyd
Extension: 132
Admin. Assistant: Mrs. Sharon Beier
Extension: 130

School Fax Number: 419-389-1161

Extended Day Phone Number: 419- 381-7944

 

  • Donuts for Dad
  • Daddy Daughter Dance
  • School Pic
  • Band Solo and Ensemble
  • McGurk Invitational Fans
  • Ice Cream Party
  • Champions in Action - Cemetery Clean-up
  • Chess Club
  • Dec. 9th NJHS
  • Spanish Play
  • Christmas Around the World
  • Fr. Jim and the 2nd Graders with Frankie
  • STREAM - Gr. 1-2
  • KG Closing Liturgy
  • Field Day
  • Fr. Tony Explains Adoration
  • LEGO Club
  • Dissecting in the 8th Grade
  • Gr. 2 Magnets
  • Gr. 4 Peacemakers

OCSAA   Fully Accredited by the Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Association

History of St. Patrick of Heatherdowns

The first step in establishing St. Patrick’s as a parish was made on June 15, 1955 when Bishop George Rehring purchased an eleven acre plot along Heatherdowns Boulevard from sisters Emma and Louise Kneer.

The parish was officially “born” on June 7, 1956, when Fr. James Brogan was appointed associate pastor at Maumee St. Joseph, armed with a list of 615 families who would become his new parish. Legend has it that Fr. Brogan visited each and every one of those households personally.

On September 23, 1956, a meeting of the new parish was held at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and the name “St. Patrick” was chosen upon the Bishop’s recommendation. Fr. Brogan’s middle name, by the way, was Patrick.

Before the church was built, the first Masses were held in the auditorium of Heatherdowns School; there were four Masses each Sunday, with Fr. William Seelaus, an Oblate from St. Francis deSales High School assisting Fr. Brogan.

The first Sunday collection at St. Pat’s totaled $4,914.82.

Ground was broken for the church and school on St. Patrick’s Day – March 17, 1957. A St. Patriick’s Day party followed – in a tradition that was kept for 37 years.

The first Mass celebrated on St. Pat’s property was in November of 1957, in the basement of the new building.

The first Mass celebrated in the church building was Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve 1957.

In the winter of 1957, at the direction of the Bishop, a house was purchased on what is now Green Valley to serve as a temporary rectory. Fourteen years later, a house down the road was built by parishioner Ken Mossing to serve as the convent. Beginning in 1990 events came full circle and the convent house now serves as the rectory.

In September of 1958, 527 students started their school year at St. Patrick’s School in the West wing, now known as Seton Hall. As St. Pat’s rapidly grew, in 1960 the East Wing – what is now known as Neumann Hall – was added, complete with 13 more classrooms.

In 1963, the new rectory, now called the Crites Community Center, was completed, and served as home to three pastors, 22 other priests (including the late Bishop James Hoffman), six seminarians, three youth directors, and numerous others in its 27 years as a residence. The Crites Center was named after Peg and Chuck Crites, who were longtime volunteer workers during the years of Fr. Brogan and Fr. Wilhelm.

By 1981, before the building of St. Patrick’s “daughter parish” St. Joan of Arc, registration reached a peak of 10,300! In 2008, we had 2,400 families and approximately 6,900 members.

In more than 40 years, St. Pat’s has had six pastors – Fr. James Brogan, Fr. Robert Wilhelm, Fr. Robert Holden, Fr. Dennis Metzger, Fr. William Kubacki and our present pastor, Fr. Dennis Walsh.

When the school opened, the Maumee Board of Education originally refused bus service to St. Patrick’s. So, the innovative parishioners came together to invest in buying busses for the parish – including one purchased with trading stamps!

The first baptism at St. Patrick’s was celebrated for young Brian Jeffrey Bensch on December 29, 1957.

The first marriage here was between Richard Conley and Mary Joyce McCarthy, on January 18, 1958.

The first funeral, January 3, 1958, was in memory of Charles Schardt.

In more than 50 years of parish life, we have celebrated 6,517 baptisms and more than 2,935 weddings at St. Patrick’s.

Sports and athletics have always been a big part of the St. Patrick’s social community; since its inception, St. Patrick’s grade school football teams have appeared in, and won, more Toy Bowls than any other school in the Diocese. The 1991-92 CYO High School Girls Basketball team brought home the State Championship from a tournament in Akron, finishing the year 22-1.

The St. Vincent DePaul Society, which sponsors outreach programs such as Feed Your Neighbor, has been in existence for 43 years. The organization is currently headedby Barb Dixon.

The Church was remodeled in the early 1980’s to bring the building more in line with guidelines provided by Vatican II. Though the first Mass in the new Church was not celebrated until the weekend of June 19, 1982, the reconstruction was far enough along in early June to allow celebration of the class of 1982’s graduation.

Parish council was created in 1971, and has existed in an advisory role to all five pastors for 25 years. The first president of the St. Patrick’s Parish Council was Tom Bishop. Now called Pastoral Council, the group is chaired by Todd Mahaney.

In April of 1999 we moved into the Holy Family Center, which now serves our parish as a multi-purpose facility. Funeral lunches, large group meetings and many parish and diocesan activities are held there.

In 2006 St. Patrick of Heatherdowns celebrated its 50th anniversary. A year-long celebration kicked off, naturally, on March 17, 2006 and concluded with Bishop Leonard Blair presiding over a celebratory Mass on St. Patrick’s Day of 2007.

In June of 2007, Bishop Blair appointed Fr. Dennis G. Walsh to serve as the 6th pastor of St. Patrick’s.